FAQs – Examination
1. How much does it cost to take the exam?
- Cost of certification:
- Costs have been established to meet the minimum cost of running a certification process for neonatal therapists.
- Costs have been set for this year of the program and may be adjusted as needed on an annual basis.
- Application Fee: $250.00
- The application fee is due at the time of application submission.
- Examination Fee: $400.00
- Examination fees will be accepted after the applicant has received notification from the NTCB that all applicant requirements have been satisfied, indicating the applicant is eligible to take the examination.
- Fees are accepted by electronic payment through the applicant portal. No cash, checks, or money orders will be accepted as payment.
- Fees paid by the applicant for certification, examination, and recertification are non-refundable.
- The Neonatal Therapy Certification Exam is taken at professional testing centers available in multiple locations throughout the United States and abroad. Click here to find a center near you.
- If you wish to reschedule your exam without an additional fee, you must contact Pearson VUE more than 72 hours prior to your scheduled appointment. Rescheduling an exam less than 72 hours prior, but more than 24 hours prior to your appointment will incur a $20 fee. Exams may not be rescheduled less than 24 hours prior to your appointment. Missing your exam will result in forfeiting all exam fees. Rescheduling via the call center will incur an additional $10 fee.
- The neonatal therapy examination is offered year-round with a range of testing dates and times available to applicants.
- Refer to the NTCB Certification Examination Manual for more pertinent details about the examination process.
2. Where are the examinations offered?
- The Neonatal Therapy Certification® Exam will be taken at professional testing centers available in multiple locations throughout the United States and abroad. Click here to find a center near you.
- The neonatal therapy examination will be offered year-round with a range of testing dates and times available to applicants.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to check the available locations of testing centers to determine distance from their home or place of employment prior to engaging in the certification process.
- New applicants will take the exam at Pearson VUE testing centers.
3. What if I do not pass the certification examination?
- If an applicant receives an unsatisfactory score on the certification examination, feedback will be provided regarding areas on the exam that were challenging.
- If the applicant wishes to retake the certification examination, one exam retake will be offered at a reduced examination fee of $250. A second unsatisfactory examination score will make the applicant ineligible for certification for a one year period, after which time the applicant may reapply for certification.
4. How long do I have to take the examination after my application is approved?
- You have up to 6 months to take the exam from the time of notification of examination eligibility.
5. How to I obtain accommodations during testing?
- Verification of the disability and a statement of the specific type of assistance needed must be made in writing to info@ntncb at least 45 calendar days prior to your desired examination date. The NTCB will review the submitted information and will contact you regarding the decision for accommodations.
6. What is the passing rate for the certification exam?
- The passing rate for the certification exam is very high. Most applicants have used the provided study guide and reference list to review NICU content. This, in addition to knowledge and experience acquired from meeting the requirements for neonatal therapy certification, have prepared most therapists for doing well on the exam.
7. What is the cut-off score for the examination in order to become certified?
- This year, the cut-off score is 80% on the examination.